Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Sump Dilemma

I have been in the process of building a sump for my reef. I really need a way to hide and find a place for all the equipment that I have been adding/wanting to add to my tank. Also the additional water volume will help to dilute nitrates and other pollutants.

"Dilution is the Solution to Pollution" - an Aquarium Saying

I wanted a sump to be at least 30 gallons, but hopefully bigger. When I examined the lengths of the tanks and whether I could fit them in or not I encountered a major problem. There was a large post in the middle of my sump that would not allow anything bigger than a 10 gallon in.
Here was the sump closed:
Opened up: (NOTE: Everything is full, but it will be empty once I put the sump in)See how the support beam makes it impossible to fit a large tank under there. I was at a loss until I looked around and talked to some people on RC (Reefcentral) and got a very cool idea. Here
is a link to it on Marc (Melev)s site. It shows how you can use (2) 2 x 4 to brace the tank so you can cut out the bar, add sump and then put it back. This really got me thinking and I thought it would be possible. The Sump specs are still sketchy as I am really busy (just got back from DC and going to California in about a week). I will have more news shortly.

Here is the list of posts coming soon.
  1. Baltimore Aquarium (I went there and have some cool stuff to share)
  2. Tank Update
  3. More Sump News
  4. New Equipment

No comments:

Post a Comment