Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Netcam: A Possible New Tool For Henryreef

If you look at peoples reef websites your are likely to find a live controller feed giving pH, orp, temperature and sometimes even more readings. These are amazingly useful for vacations and times when you want to check on your tank. Sadly these units come at a price and are usually hundreds of dollars. The Aqua Controller 3 which monitors pH, orp and calcium goes for over 300.
Aquacontroller 3 (by Neptune)


A second alternative to things like the Aquacontrollers are live tank Netcams. Well what is the difference between a Netcam and a Webcam, you are probably asking. A webcam plugs directly into the usb outlet of a computer well a netcam send info to the internet and you can post a live feed without a computer close by. I have been discussing them on reef central and a good quality webcam can go for about $100. This is definitely more in my price range. This will be great for looking at my tank when on vacations and I think I will set up a monitor in my room for viewing my reef too. Most quality netcams come with a software or site that you can view your tank on or a way to post your netcam view on to another site (like this one). This is very promising and I am still looking into it. The netcam I am considering currently is the LinkSys WVC54GCA which goes for about 100 and complete with microphone (so you can hear what my reef sounds like ;) ) The only downside is you need to plug it directly into your router to link it to the internet. This means I have to run a Cable :( It is one snazy piece of technology though.

Linksys WVC54GCA




No comments:

Post a Comment